Archive for March 4th, 2013
Each year starts with the good intentions of exercising yourself to a healthier you, but it only takes a few months for reality to set in and the challenges begin to outweigh the motivation to get moving. People living with diabetes may have a few added obstacles to establishing a work-out routine, but they also have a multitude of health benefits to gain starting with increased blood sugar control.
The first step is to talk to your physician about your exercise goals and needs. Always get a medical clearance and proper assessment before beginning a physical activity (exercise program).
Benefits of Regular Exercise (Physical Activity)
- Lowers blood sugar levels ( exercise has an “insulin-like” result)
- Lowers risk of falls by improving balance
- Lowers body weight and body fat and boosts metabolism
- Lowers risk of osteoporosis by increasing bone density (weight bearing exercises)
- Helps you feel better and lowers risk of depression
- Reduces risk for heart disease
Diabetes Management & Supplies has developed programming that can help you develop self-management skills and achieve greater blood sugar control. If you are interested in learning more about our programs or speak to a diabetes educator, call our Education Department at 1-888-738-7929.